Wednesday 18 September 2013

SONGS TO LIVE BY: Heyday by Mic Christopher.

Heyday....... Mic Christopher
I've heard it, and I've heard it, and I've heard it. Taken from us too soon in such tragic circumstances, Ireland lost one of its brightest stars when it lost Mic. I have never had the honor of hearing Mic himself sing this song, but I have been honored to hear his best friend Glen Hansard sing it on more than one occasion. Its a song that makes you feel like when you're among friends, you can be invincible. I first heard it in college, and I was going through a particularly low ebb at the time. I was struggling to find my feet in an environment that just seemed way too huge. I was 200% out of my depth. I had no idea who I was or where I fitted into this massive gene pool of seemingly over confident teenagers who all knew where they were going and how they were meant to get there. I was a little fish in a very big pond, and I was just clinging to the edge hoping I wouldn't be sucked under. This album was the soundtrack to the slow return to some kind of semblance of myself, as I discovered throughout my first year that with the downs come the major highs too. I may not have made a posse of friends throughout my time in college, but the three I did cling to are still hanging around. God Bless their flowery hearts, we have really made a motto of this song over the last decade. This song really is one of those to live by. Because now it really is our Heyday.




No comments:

Post a Comment